The City of Columbia is hosting two virtual public information meetings regarding the planned improvements on Calhoun Street between Wayne and Harden Streets on Tuesday, June 22nd, at 5:30pm and 6:30pm. These duplicate meetings will include a review the road design and implementation schedule, and will provide an opportunity for members of the public to ask questions about the planned project.
About the Project
Improvements to Calhoun Street will occur as part of a partnership between the City of Columbia, the Richland County Penny Tax for Transportation, and Richland County CTC. Improvements will include resurfacing (from Wayne to Gregg), restriping, and bike accommodations. Block-by-block plans are available as follows:
- 2012: Calhoun Street included on Richland County Transportation Sales Tax Referendum (“Penny Tax”)
- 2015: Calhoun Street identified in the Walk Bike Columbia Pedestrian & Bicycle Master Plan as a key east-west corridor for the northern portion of the downtown area with future possible linkages to surrounding communities.
- June 2018: Public Meetings for Calhoun and Hampton Street improvements were held by the Richland County Transportation Program at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1931 Sumter Street.
- November 2018: Second public meeting held for Calhoun Street improvements
- 2019-2020: Additional funding secured for the project, which allowed for the incorporation of resurfacing from Wayne to Gregg Streets.
- June 1, 2021: City of Columbia and Richland County Councils approve an intergovernmental agreement (IGA) which includes the installation of Calhoun Street Improvements.
- March 25, 2020: Public Information Meeting (cancelled due to COVID response, carried forward to June 2021)
- June 22, 2021, 5:30pm and 6:30pm, brief informational presentation followed by Q&A period: Virtual Public Information Meeting to be held to answer any lingering questions and review construction schedule
- Fall 2021: Project anticipated to be bid by the City
- Spring 2022: Project anticipated to be installed
How to Participate
The public may participate in the virtual meeting remotely via a number of methods:
- Live Stream: the meeting will be live-streamed to CityTV at https://www.youtube.com/user/ColumbiaSCGovernment
- Email: members of the public may submit questions until June 21st by emailing [email protected].
- Phone: The public may participate via phone by dialing 855-925-2801. When prompted, please enter the meeting code: 8104.
Those participating by phone will receive three options on how to participate:
- (star one) *1 will allow the participant to listen
- (star two) *2 will allow the participant to record a voice mail message with questions, which will be played live during the meeting Q&A session and answered accordingly.
- (star three) *3 will allow the participant to be placed in a queue, so they may ask their questions live during the Q&A session when prompted.