The Columbia Parks & Recreation Department is looking for families to participate in a free 12-week wellness challenge designed to encourage families to lead a healthy and active lifestyle.
The Let’s Move! Columbia Family Wellness Challenge will begin Monday, May 7 and will be held through Friday, July 27.
Up to 20 families will be selected to compete in the wellness challenge. A family must include at least one child and one adult living in the same household. Participants must be age 6 and older. Grandparents who live in the same household can also participate.
A kick-off celebration will be held on Sunday, May 6 at 3 p.m. at the Charles R. Drew Wellness Center located at 2101 Walker Solomon Way for those families who are selected to compete in the challenge.
Families must complete an application and describe why their family should be considered for the wellness challenge and list the goals they want to reach by participating.
Participants will be asked to track their meals and activities, and participate in a variety of special events throughout the challenge. Participants will receive points in the following categories:
- Exercise program (on their own or at the Charles R. Drew Wellness Center)
- Scheduled group activity
- Attending cooking and nutrition classes
- Attending gardening sessions or planting a garden at home
- Family Activity
- Spending time together as a family (sharing or cooking a meal together, attending a special event, exercising, shopping, gardening etc.)
Overall prizes valued at $1,000, $500 and $250 will be awarded to the top three families who log the most points at the end of the challenge.
All participating families will receive a certificate for their participation.
Each family that is selected for the challenge will receive the following:
- Free health screenings (BMI and blood pressure)
- Weekly emails providing physical activity and nutrition tips
- 3-month membership to the Charles R. Drew Wellness Center
- Activity tracking notebook
- Activity and program calendars
- Personal potted plant for children
- Raised garden bed kit for the entire family
- Boot Camp sessions with a personal trainer
- Chance to win prizes worth up to $1,000
- And more!
To download an application, visit http://www.columbiasc.net/parks-recreation/lets-move. Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 13.
Applications can be submitted in the following ways:
- Email: Wanda Austin at [email protected]
- Mail or deliver in person:
- Katheryn M. Bellfield Booker Washington Heights Cultural Arts Center, 2611 Grant Ave., Columbia, SC 29203 (Hours of operation: Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- City of Columbia Parks & Recreation Department, 1111 Parkside Drive, Columbia, SC 29203 (Hours of operation: Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
803-343-8744(Attn: Wanda Austin)
For more information, contact Wanda Austin at