The City of Columbia City Council met in regular session, Wednesday,
July 19, 2000 in the City Hall Council Chambers, 1737 Main Street.
Mayor Robert D. Coble called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. Council
Members present were: The Honorable E. W. Cromartie, III, The Honorable
Francenia B. Heizer, The Honorable Jim Papadea, The Honorable Anne M. Sinclair,
The Honorable Hamilton Osborne, Jr., and The Honorable Sam Davis.
Also attending were Mr. Michael A. Bierman, City Manager, Ms. Peggy Breeland,
City Clerk and Ms. Pamela J. Ferst, Acting City Clerk.
I. CONSENT AGENDA
A. ZONING MAP AMENDMENTS - Second Reading
1. #00-25 MA. 2139 Adams Grove Road, TMS 11503-6-10, 11, 12, & 13. Rezone from M-2 (Heavy Industrial) and RG-2 (General Residential) to C-1 (Office & Institutional).
2. #00-26 MA. 409-09½ S. Woodrow St. and portion of 2320 Rosewood Dr., TMS 11313-18-4 & 2(p). Rezone from RG-2 (General Residential to C-2 Neighborhood Commercial).
Mr. Mel Jenkins appeared before Council and spoke in favor of zoning map amendment #00-26 MA. 409-09½ S. Woodrow St. and portion of 2320 Rosewood Dr., TMS 11313-18-4 & 2(p). Rezone from RG-2 (General Residential to C-2 Neighborhood Commercial).
Upon motion by Ms. Sinclair, seconded by Mr. Papadea, Council voted unanimously to approve on second reading, Zoning Map Amendment #00-26 MA. 409-09½ S. Woodrow St. and portion of 2320 Rosewood Dr., TMS 11313-18-4 & 2(p). Rezone from RG-2 (General Residential to C-2 Neighborhood Commercial).
3. #00-29 MA. 200 Block East Exchange Blvd., TMS 16308-7-1. Rezone from D-1 (Development District) to C-3 (General Commercial).
4. #00-31 MA. Along I-77, TMS 13512-04-02. Add FS Overlay (Billboard) to M-2 (Heavy Industrial).
5. #00-32 MA. Between Saluda River & I-126 (near railroad tracks), TMS 07301-01-01. Add FS Overlay (Billboard) to C-3 (General Commercial).
6. #00-33 MA. 1018 Pine Street, TMS 11410-22-01. Rezone from RS-3 (Single Family Residential) to PUD-R (Planned Unit Development -Residential).
B. ORDINANCES - Second Reading
1. Ordinance No. 2000-046 - Annexing Parcel 11, Columbiana Station Lexington County TMS No.: 02763-01-08.
2. Ordinance No. 2000-047 - Annexing 821 Summit Avenue, Richland County T.S. No.: 09313-12-14.
3. Ordinance No. 2000-052 - Amending the 1998 Code of Ordinances
of the City of Columbia, South Carolina, Chapter 1, General
Provisions, Sec. 1-5, General penalty; continuing violations
4. Ordinance No. 2000-048 - Annexing 1307 Rosewood Drive, Richland County T.S. No.: 11208-01-06 and 07.
5. Ordinance No. 2000-049 - Granting encroachment to Palmettos Restaurant for placement of six tables and twenty-four chairs within the canopy covered sidewalk adjacent to 902-F Gervais Street.
C. CONSIDERATION OF BIDS
1. Request to Purchase Meter Boxes and Lids for Water Distribution from the low bidder meeting specifications, Hughes Supply, for a total cost of $20,741.70.
1. Request to Purchase Water Repair Material from the low bidder meeting specifications, Hughes Supply, for a total cost of $23,368.
3. Request to Contract for Disposal of Ash, Grit and Sludge at a Landfill for the Wastewater Treatment Plant, from the only bidder, Chambers Richland County Landfill, for a total cost of $168,187.40
4. Request to Purchase Water Meters from the low bidder for each lot: Lot 1 - U.S. Filter - One lot of Meters @ $88,523.00; Lot 2 - Hughes Supply - One lot of Meters @ $31,550.00; Lot 3 - Hughes Supply - One Lot of Meters @ $265,770.25 - Grand Total - $405,135.41
5. Request to Contract for Grit, Ash and Sludge Hauling at the Wastewater Treatment Plant from the only bidder, Waste Management, for a total cost of $100,334.00.
6. Request to Contract for Grass Cutting at Water Tank and Pump Station Sites from the low bidder, Addison Lawn & ground, for a total cost of $12,600
7. Request to Purchase Computers for the Engineering Department using the S.C. State Technology Contract, for a total cost of $13,280.40
1. Request to Purchase Chemicals for the Wastewater Treatment Plant from the low bidder for each chemical: Lot 1 - Chlorine, DPC Enterprises - $73,920; Lot 2 - Sodium Hydroxide - Indchem - $304.64; Lot 3 - Sulfamic Acid - Southchem, Inc. - $1,003.08; Lot 4 - Sulfur Dioxide - Jones Chemicals - $33,700; Lot 5 - Sodium Chloride - Southchem, Inc. - $900.00 - Total - $109,827.72
9. Request to Purchase Fencing for Assembly Street and Elmwood Avenue Medians from the low bidder, C.L. Fisher Iron Works, for a total cost of $39,180.00.
10. Request to Purchase and Install One 500 Gallon Fuel Tank at Mill Creek Pump Stations (SS649(14), from the low bidder, Southern Pump & Tank Company, for a total cost of $10,329.38.
4. REQUEST TO CLOSE CITY STREET
1. Request from the Colonial/West Neighbors to close 1900 block of Hydrick Street between the intersections of Grand Street and West Avenue, for their annual National Neighbors Night Out, on Tuesday, August 1, 2000, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight, Contact Ms. Johnie Mae Wheeler.
Upon motion by Mr. Papadea, seconded Mr. Cromartie, Council voted unanimously to approve the items I. A. 1. and 3. through 6.on second reading, B. 1. through 4.on second reading, C. 1. through 10., and D. 1., on a single motion.
II. APPEARANCE OF PUBLIC HAVING BUSINESS WITH CITY COUNCIL
No one appeared to speak before Council.
Council reconvened executive session at 10:17 a.m.
III. COLUMBIA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Upon motion by Mayor Coble, seconded by Mr. Davis, Council voted six (6) to one (1) to approve a loan request by the Columbia Development Corporation in the amount of $225,000. Voting aye were Mayor Coble, Mr. Cromartie, Ms. Heizer, Ms. Sinclair, Mr. Osborne, and Mr. Davis. Voting nay was Mr. Papadea.
The meeting adjourned at 10:30 a.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
Pamela J. Ferst, CPS
Acting City Clerk
BACK TO MINUTES PAGE