The Columbia City Council met for a work session, Wednesday, February 16, 2000, in the Council Conference Room. Mayor Robert D. Coble called the meeting to order at 9:10 a.m. Council members present were: The Honorable E. W. Cromartie, The Honorable Francenia B. Heizer, The Honorable Jim Papadea, The Honorable Anne M. Sinclair, The Honorable Hamilton Osborne, Jr., and The Honorable Sam Davis. Also attending were Mr. Michael A. Bierman, City Manager and Ms. Vivian A. Krigline, City Clerk.
1. Review of Regular Agenda
Mr. Bierman reviewed the regular agenda with Council. A request from the Carolina Marathon Association to close streets on February 25 and 26, 2000 is to be added to the agenda. Council also discussed the request from the Jaguar Society to have a car show on Main Street, April 8, 2000. Council asked Mr. Bierman to notify businesses and make sure the event doesn’t clash with a classical music event at the Museum. Mr. Papadea also suggested a parking lot on Gervais and Assembly if needed.
2. Briefing on Columbia Metro Airport by Mike Flack
Mr. Mike Flack, executive director for the Columbia Metro Airport reported on activities and plans for the airport.
3. Upon motion by Mr. Cromartie, seconded by Mr. Papadea, Council unanimously voted to go into executive session at 9:20 a.m. to receive a legal briefing on the TIF Redevelopment plan.
Council went into the regular meeting at 10:00 a.m.
Council returned to work session at 10:15 a.m.
A. Technology Advisory Board:
Mr. Osborne asked that Dr. Gerhard Schmid be added to the Technology Advisory Board.
Upon motion by Mayor Coble, seconded by Mr. Osborne, Council unanimously
approved the recommendations for appointees to the Technology Advisory
Board as submitted, with amendments made by Council, per a memo dated January
28,2000. Mayor Coble stated that additional names can be submitted
B. Zoning Board of Appeals
Mr. Davis reported that Mr. Paul Wade does not desire to be reappointed to the Zoning Board of Appeals. Mr. Davis recommended Mr. Wildred Rogers.
Upon motion by Ms. Sinclair, seconded by Mr. Papadea, Council unanimously voted to appoint Mr. Wildred Rogers and to reappoint Mr. Jim Harrison and Mr. Marshall Kibler to the Zoning Board of Appeals. The appointments are for five-year terms, to expire January 1, 2005.
C. Housing Board of Adjustments
Ms. Dana Turner notified Council that Mr. Steven Rayl (appointed on February 9, 2000) does not live within the city limits. Therefore, it is recommended that Mr. Danny Lucero be appointed to serve on the Housing Board of Adjustments.
Upon motion by Mr. Osborne, seconded by Mr. Papadea, Council unanimously voted to appoint Mr. Danny Lucero to the Housing Board of Adjustments and Appeals.
5. Mr. Charles Williams briefed Council on the proposed plans to construct a kids golf course at Sligh Avenue and Harden Street.
Council returned to executive session at 10:45 a.m.
6. Council reconvened in open session to receive a report from the Citizens Advisory Council for Community Development on CDBG FY 2000-2001 funding requests.
7. Mr. Bierman presented a request from the McCain Campaign to close Gervais Street, in front of the Clarion Town House Hotel, on Thursday, February 17, 2000 beginning at 6:00 p.m. Council agreed to the closing, but asked the Police Department clearly mark a detour route from Gervais to Pickens and back to Gervais.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:45 a.m.
Vivian A. Krigline
BACK TO MINUTES PAGE