The Columbia City Council met for a work session, Wednesday, January 5, 2000, in the Council Conference Room. Mayor Robert D. Coble called the meeting to order at 9:10 a.m. Council members present were: The Honorable Francenia B. Heizer, The Honorable Jim Papadea, The Honorable Anne M. Sinclair, and The Honorable Hamilton Osborne, Jr. Also attending were Mr. Michael A. Bierman, City Manager and Ms. Vivian A. Krigline, City Clerk
1. Review of Regular Agenda
Council discussed the contract request with Kinsel Industries for constructing the sanitary sewer replacement for Penn Branch/Lake Katherine area. Council asked for assurances that Kinsel will be sensitive to property owner’s concerns and will be responsible to do the work properly.
2. Time and Location of Council District III Meeting on January 19, 2000
Ms. Sinclair asked that the District III meeting on January 19, 2000 be held at the Ben Arnold Center at 1100 South Holly Street beginning at 6:00 p.m.
3. Technology Task Force Recommendations
Mayor Coble reviewed the information and recommendations prepared by the Technology Task Force (memo dated December 20, 1999).
Upon motion by Mayor Coble, seconded by Mr. Papadea, Council unanimously voted to approve the recommendations of the Technology Task Force as outlined in the memo dated December 20, 1999, in concept.
* Ms. Sinclair asked that Council set a time to discuss the Boarding House Regulations at an upcoming work session. Council agreed to place this item on the January 19, 2000 agenda.
4. Upon motion by Mayor Coble, seconded by Ms. Sinclair, Council unanimously voted to go into executive session to receive a legal briefing on contract and personnel matters. (9:30 a.m.)
Council went into the regular meeting at 10:00 a.m.
Council returned to work session at 10:15 a.m.
5. Finney Retirement Gala
Mayor Coble asked that this request be held over until January 12, 2000,
when all Council members can be present to decide who wishes to attend.
7. Zoning Map Amendment #99-61MA - West Side Hazelwood Road (Ashwood Lake Subdivision
Mr. Chip Land, Zoning Administrator, reviewed the redesign of the Ashwood Lake Subdivision. Changes include reducing the number of cul-de-sacs, the addition of traffic calming devices (traffic circles) and additional stub-outs for future development. Council approved redesign of subdivision and agreed to placed the request on the January 12 Agenda for second reading.
8. Palmetto Trails Inaugural Hike and Opening Ceremony on Saturday, January 29, 2000
Mr. Bierman briefed Council on the Palmetto Trails inaugural hike to be on Saturday, January 29, 2000.
6. Eau Claire Development Corporation Loan - Christian Prison Ministries Property
Mr. Mike Manus reviewed a request for a $100,000 loan to Eau Claire Development Corporation to purchase and redevelop property known as Christian Prison Ministries. Upon motion by Ms. Heizer, seconded by Mr. Papadea, Council unanimously approved the request.
* Upon motion by Mr. Papadea, seconded by Mayor Coble, Council unanimously approved an additional allocation of $2,500 from Community Promotions Contingency for the Columbia Classical Ballet Company (total allocation for FY 99/2000 is now $5,000).
* Mr. Bierman reviewed several upcoming meetings for Council:
January 11 - Three Rivers Music Festival Lunch Meeting at Rivers Restaurant
January 12 - Work Session and Rezoning Public Hearing
January 19 - Work Session and District III Evening Meeting (time & location to be announced)
January 26 - Legislative Reception
Mr. Bierman also reported that the Salary Compensation Committee will present a report on January 12, 2000.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:35 a.m.
Vivian A. Krigline
BACK TO MINUTES PAGE